Did you know?
Journey through the mysterious deep at Questacon from the 12 November 2012 and uncover the secrets of the world’s largest habitat as the strange and rarely seen creatures of the deep are revealed.
- See amazing glow-in-the-dark sea creatures from the depths of the abyss.
- Discover the deep-ocean sponges that contain cancer-fighting compounds.
- Meet the Museum’s infamous Mr Blobby, a fathead found more than 1000m deep in the Tasman Sea.
- Escape the jaws of an Anglerfish.
- Look inside our replica of the Bathysphere, the first submersible to descend beyond light, and experience a dive to the depths.
- Come face to face with a five-metre model of a Giant Squid – the biggest invertebrate on Earth.
- Feel the enormous water pressure at great ocean depths.
- Learn about the new technology oceanographers are using to map out the 25 million seamounts lying hidden below the waves.
- Follow the Octonauts themed trail for under 5s.
The Exhibition Experience
The Deep Oceans Exhibition presents the mysteries of the deep; what lives there and how we know, through a variety of experiences and topic areas. Here are some highlights:
- A giant globe, scale models and massive maps introduce the Deep Oceans; how deep they are and how much we know about them.
- Our continuing fascination with the deep is revealed through the sea monsters that appear in our legends and popular culture. Meet some of the actual creatures that may have inspired the myths. Learn how Museum scientists investigate monster sightings and create your own strange creature.
- Experience the physical conditions of the depths. Feel the pressure squeeze your arm and witness the light disappearing as you delve deeper into darkness.
- Explore the different deep sea habitats, from dead whales to hydrothermal vents. See preserved specimens of actual creatures and discover what lives there and how through the interactive exhibits.
- Discover the technology that takes us beneath the waves. Experience a dive in a Bathysphere, try operating a remote sub and see real deep sea exploration robots.
- Investigate how deep ocean creatures are suited to their environment and lifestyle. Specimens, models and interactive exhibits reveal the incredible adaptations adopted by denizens of the deep.
- Learn about how we study the deep, the things we harvest from it and the threats faced by this little explored environment. See actual research equipment. Hear from scientists working in this area and watch film of research expeditions.